Are you looking to install Plex on a Synology NAS with DSM 7? Plex is one of the best media server software for home users with a Synology NAS. On average, those home users who purchase a Synology NAS intend on implementing a media streaming server, along with the many other features Synology is capable of. This tutorial will step you through a brand-new install of Plex on a Synology NAS with DSM 7. Please note these steps are not intended for those looking to update Plex from DSM 6 to DSM 7. If you want to update Plex from DSM 6 to 7, HERE IS A GREAT VIDEO by Wundertech.
How To Install Plex on Synology NAS with DSM 7
- Visit the Plex website and download the latest Synology DSM 7 package for your model. Please verify what CPU is installed in your NAS prior to downloading the software, however, most users will find that the Intel 64-bit install file is what they require.
- Log into your Synology DSM 7 using a user account with administrative rights, and go into Package Center. Click the Manual Install button located in the top right corner.
3. Click Browse and select the Plex file you just downloaded. Click Next.
4. You will be greeted by a message indicating the package is provided by a third-party, and not verified by Synology. Assuming you visited the Plex website in step 1 to download the file, and not another site, it is safe to click the Agree button. If you downloaded a Plex package from any other website, I strongly encourage you to revisit Step 1 and download the Plex software from their site.
5. Two installation types will be presented. Normal Installation will install the software but claim the server at a later time. In my opinion, it is easier to claim the server at the same time. This way, your newly installed server will be automatically associated with your Plex account. Select Install using Plex Claim Token and then click the link Get Plex Claim Token.
6. Sign into Plex using your existing Plex credentials.
7. After authenticating, you will be shown a Claim Code. Copy the code.
8. Go back to the Plex Media Server – Install window, and paste the claim code in the Claim Token field. Click Next.
9. You will now see a Confirm settings window, giving you one last chance to go back to make changes. Ensure that Run after installation is checked, and then click Done. Allow for a few minutes to allow the software to install. Once completed you will see a message stating that the PlexMediaServer has been successfully claimed.
10. In the Installed area of Package Center, you should now see Plex Media Server. Click the Open button.
11. A message prompting you to sign into your Plex user account will be displayed. Sign in to proceed.
12. Plex will now load the home page. Click the Wrench icon (settings) in the top right window.
13. On the left-hand side, click Libraries under the Manage heading.
14. Click Add Library, select the Library Type containing what you want to load, and add the folder. Assuming your media is sitting on your Synology, it should be located on /volume1. Whatever folder is holding your media, you should have your media split into three different folders. The names won’t matter, but dedicate them to movies, tv shows, and music.
Plex will now reach out to the internet to crawl for covers and titles. You are done!
We hope this article has helped you learn how to lend your iPhone securely. Do you have any tips or tricks? Be sure to share them in the comment section below.